Dear SPC Families,
Tomorrow we celebrate International SEL Day! We have spent all year deliberately infusing best practices in Social Emotional Learning into the school day. Tomorrow we are looking forward to hosting many activities that foster social-emotional wellbeing and resilience in our students! Thank you to Mrs. Quinn and some student leaders who will help facilitate our fun day. Stay tuned on social media for some photos. Some things we have planned include:
- SEL Mystery readers: Older students will be visiting the EGC to read a book that features an SEL topic
- Morning meeting SEL: Brief overview of SEL and the benefits. SPC will practice a moment of mindfulness across all grade levels.
- Other SEL Activities:
- Glitter/mind jars: visual for mindfulness and letting our thoughts, feelings settle.
- Feelings bingo: students will practice identifying feelings through a fun game.
OPEN SCHOOL BOARD ADVISORY MEETING
Tuesday, March 30 at 7:30 pm
Agenda: General School Updates
Register in advance for this meeting:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Spring is in the air! Students can wear shorts starting on April 12 through the rest of the school year. A reminder that shorts should be the SPC gym shorts or Khaki or Navy uniform shorts.
May 7 Professional Development Day - No School
The Illinois State Board of Education has allowed schools to add an additional four days of professional development to the calendar. We have chosen to use three this year. The last PD day for the year has been scheduled for Friday, May 7. There will be no school for students that day.
UPDATED TRAVEL INFORMATION: Updated on 3/23
I know many families have plans to travel over Spring Break. Please make sure you follow all the guidelines below.
The Archdiocese of Chicago and Office of Catholic Schools follow the Chicago Emergency Travel Order for domestic travel regardless of whether the traveler resides in Chicago, Cook County, or Lake County. In consultation with our medical advisors, we have updated our travel guidelines to conform to new guidance from public health authorities.
The following travel quarantine guidelines replace all prior guidance. Remember that public health departments discourage inter-state travel. We continue to recommend that Catholic school families and employees enjoy a safe spring break at home.
Domestic Travel (state-to-state): PLEASE SEE ABOVE FOR POST TRAVEL TESTING GUIDELINES.
Non-vaccinated individuals (all SPC students)
Travel in states designated Orange on the Chicago Emergency Travel Order map requires:
- Ten-day quarantine upon return if there is no negative pre-arrival test (any test administered by a third-party is sufficient; however, a self-administered test is not acceptable) or the traveler is not fully vaccinated (see above for definition of fully vaccinated) OR
- A pre-arrival negative test (within 72 hours before returning to the state) with strict masking, physical distancing, and avoidance of in-person out-of-school gatherings. Archdiocesan schools should accept any negative test before school attendance (including tests administered upon return to the state) but no earlier than 72 hours before returning to the state. Any test administered by a third-party is sufficient; however, a self-administered test is not acceptable. Availability of testing out-of-state residents varies from state to state, so we advise making a plan for receiving tests within 72 hours of your child’s return to school. Once you take the test, you must adhere to strict social distancing; if that is not feasible, we will accept a negative test administered 3-5 days after returning home.
- If you are driving to Florida and get tested prior to your return drive home, a pre-arrival test would be sufficient.
- If you flew to Florida and got tested prior to a return flight home, we would advise you test 2-5 days after returning home.
- If you get tested and then spend the day on a crowded beach or at a theme park---please test 3-5 days after returning home.
- For domestic travel in states designated as Yellow on the Chicago Emergency Travel Order map, no quarantine or pre-arrival test is required. However, travelers must maintain strict masking and physical distancing.
Regardless of vaccination status, international travelers must follow CDC guidelines:
- A traveler is to be tested three to five days after their return to the U.S. and must quarantine for a seven-day period even if the post-arrival test is negative (any test administered by a third-party is sufficient; however, a self-administered test is not acceptable).
- If a traveler chooses not to take a test three to five days after their return to the U.S., he or she must quarantine for ten days after arrival.
COVID Dashboard March 25, 2021
Dr. Erika Mickelburgh
Endowment Merit Scholarships - Please Note, Deadline to Apply is Thursday, April 1
The Endowment Committee is excited to announce the merit-based scholarships available to current SPC students returning for the 2021-2022 school year. Each year the Endowment administers five merit-based, named scholarships totaling $3,750.
- Pastoral Leadership Award- We are pleased to invite current 5th and 6th grade students to apply. Three monetary awards of $750 will be given to students who most demonstrate the qualities of leadership and service to others.
- Maureen Kelly McCambridge Scholarship- We are pleased to invite current 7th grade students to apply for this $1000 scholarship established in Maureen’s honor and memory.
- Roseann McHugh New Family Welcome Award- This $500 award is available to families who, for the first time during the 2020-2021 school year, have students in K-7th grades and are returning to SPC for a second year. It will be granted to welcome a new family to the SPC community.
Below, please find detailed information concerning each scholarship and their respective criteria. All applicants will be judged using an independent, nonbiased format. In order for us to continue the growth of the Endowment, all award recipients and their families will be asked to help in some capacity at future Endowment events.
Listed below is the timeline for submission. Please note that all deadlines are final and there will be no exceptions to this or any of the scholarship requirements. If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Mickelburgh.
Submission Timeline for Endowment Merit-Based Scholarships
April 1, 2021 Applications for the Pastoral Leadership Award, Maureen McCambridge Scholarship & Roseann McHugh New Family Welcome Award due (by 9:00pm)
May 3, 2021 April Maureen McCambridge semi-finalists notified
May 10, 2021 Maureen McCambridge semi-finalists interviewed
June 2021 Pastoral Leadership Award, Maureen McCambridge Scholarship & Roseann McHugh New Family Welcome Award recipients honored at all school Mass.
REGISTER NOW for the Mini 2021 Chess-Ed Virtual Enrichment Program!
Keep your chess game sharp and join us for Chess-Ed’s 4-week Mini Session this May!
The 4-week Mini Session is offered Monday through Friday at a variety of times (4, 5, and 6 pm) with Beginner, Novice, Continuing, and Advanced program levels. The chess program runs from 5/3/21 to 5/28/21 and begins after the current Spring session ends on 4/30/21. The Mini Session is taught by Chess-Ed instructors using Zoom, lichess.org, and other chess software. Please refer to the Eventbee registration site for chess level guidelines.
To register, go to: www.a-mini-virtual-chess-ed.eventbee.com. Be sure to register early to take advantage of EARLY FEE pricing. For more information about the program, please refer to the program flyer and Eventbee website. Chess-Ed is looking forward to seeing your CHESS ENTHUSIAST this May!
SPC Yearbooks - Ordering Deadline is Thursday, April 8th
Here are three reasons we chose TreeRing:
Custom Yearbooks: Every student gets a one of a kind printed copy containing two free pages to customize with personal photos. (This is optional; don’t feel obligated to complete this)
Green Yearbooks: In the past four years TreeRing planted almost 2,100 trees on behalf of St. Paul of the Cross.
Beautiful Yearbooks: All yearbooks are gorgeously printed in full color using the highest end print production available.
YOU CAN PURCHASE AND PERSONALIZE YOUR St. Paul of the Cross YEARBOOK BY CLICKING HERE https://www.google.com/url?q=https://tr5.treering.com/validate&source=gmail&ust=1614979315981000&usg=AFQjCNHySH4YtoGx662EbEW9YiwarztUVA">https://tr5.treering.com/
Yearbook password: 101414618165482
A few important facts:
o Your personalized yearbook only costs $28.00 for a soft cover. You may order a hardcover yearbook for an additional charge.
o You’ll need to purchase your copy and complete your free personal pages by April 8th
o Your 2 free custom pages are optional, if you don’t customize you’ll receive a standard yearbook.
FROM THE PARISH
We have an active and vibrant parish and encourage everyone to read the weekly bulletins for Fr. Britto's weekly letter and stay informed about all upcoming events and programs.
Please click here for the latest bulletin.
Candelight Rosary - Feast of the Annunciation Thursday, March 25th
FROM THE COMMUNITY
Loyola Academy Junior High Summer Enrichment Program
Summer will be here soon! Loyola Academy will be offering their Jr. High Summer Enrichment Program for summer 2021. Please click here to download the flyer.