Dear SPC Families,
I pray this finds you all healthy and doing well. I know it was not easy to hear that the shelter in place order was extended, but I think we all recognize it is the right thing to do to save lives. Our teachers and students continue to work on providing a quality Catholic education, and I see that many grade levels are adjusting instruction based on parent feedback. Parents, I know this has been a challenge, and I can't thank you enough for your support these past few weeks.
Construction on the Lower Level UGC:
Last week the small amount of asbestos abatement work was completed. Given that school is not in session, we have been given the green light to proceed with the start of construction in the next few weeks! Stay tuned for some "demolition day" photos!
Return of Books, Chrome Books, and Collection of Personal Items from Desks and Lockers:
As part of the new Stay at Home Order, schools are allowed to provide access to the building to allow for the collection and distribution of items. We are currently working out these logistics, but it will take place the last week of school. I imagine that specific homerooms and grade levels will be issued a set day and time to return their textbooks and obtain their belongings. We will provide more details at a later date, and I am still waiting on guidance from the Archdiocese in formulating the plan.
Please keep in your prayers our 8th Grade Class of 2020! While their last day of remote learning will remain May 22nd, we will be planning a celebration for them when we are able to safely gather again.
Elective Choices for 7th and 8th grade students for 2020-2021 School Year:
We are finalizing the course descriptions and will email the course selection information in Mid May.
We are currently working to make the May mailing 100% electronic! Please stay tuned for more information on the new portal.
Covid Resources for Families:
Tips for Parents
- KidsHealth: Helping Kids Get Used to Seeing Masks https://kidshealth.org/
Tips for Kids
- Sesame Street Printable: We Wash Because We Care (also attached) https://
sesamestreetincommunities.org/ wp-content/uploads/2020/03/ HealthEmergencies_because_we_ care.pdf
- COVID-related Mental Health and Recovery Resources (see attached for a list of resources for a variety of mental health services)
- 30 Minute Cardio Latin Dance Workout from Popsugar- Free https://www.youtube.com/
- Home Work-In with The Biggest Loser trainer Erica Lugo https://www.youtube.com/
- COVID-19 Grocery List Printable (attached to this email)
- Chicago Public Schools (CPS) are providing grab-and-go meals to children Monday through Friday between 9 am to 1 pm. Families may pick up to three days’ worth of meals for every child in their household. ID is not necessary. Locations are available at www.cps.edu/coronavirus/
- Check out the animals at the Monterey Bay Aquarium https://www.
Dr. Erika Mickelburgh