Dear SPC Parents,
I hope you all enjoyed a wonderful St Patrick’s Day. I want to give our Student Council a shout-out, who arranged the Shamrock Shake sale and raised $2000 for our Lenten Mission! Congratulations to our wonderful student leaders and Mrs. Shultz for making that happen. A very big thank you to the Herrera family for donating the Shamrock Shakes!
Spring Break Reminder:
Please see below for travel guidelines pertaining to Spring Break. A reminder that Spring Break begins on April 1 at 11:30 am; there will be no aftercare that day. School will resume on April 12.
We have come so far this school year; please follow all travel guidelines (see below) if you are traveling. If you are choosing to travel over Spring Break, please follow the rules. If you have questions, please contact the main office.
May 7 Professional Development Day - No School
The Illinois State Board of Education has allowed schools to add an additional four days of professional development to the calendar. We have chosen to use three this year. The last PD day for the year has been scheduled for Friday, May 7. There will be no school for students that day.
The Second Annual International SEL (Social-Emotional Learning) Day is March 26, 2021!
This is an opportunity to spread the word about the importance and impact of social-emotional learning. We will observe a “mindful moment” during morning announcements as a school. Parents, please join us for upcoming parent speakers.
The SEL Parent Speaker Lunch & Learn Series - Wednesday 3/24/21 and Wednesday 3/31/21
Date: March 24, 2020
Time: 12:00 p.m.-1:00 p.m. (Will be recorded)
Who: Lee Dal Pra
Topic: Distress Tolerance: How parents can help their children manage and tolerate anxiety and stress
Register in advance for this meeting:
Date: March 31: Dr. Rob Daniels, Child Psychologist
Time:12:00-1:00 p.m. (Will be recorded)
Who: Dr. Rob Daniels
Topic: Pandemic Parenting: Collaborative and Proactive Solutions to Discipline
Register in advance for this meeting:https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwufuihrjwsHdWxqPnokdEG4gjVhBSIivYR
Travel Guidelines Updated 3/17/21
The Archdiocese of Chicago and Office of Catholic Schools follow the Chicago Emergency Travel Order for domestic travel regardless of whether the traveler resides in Chicago, Cook County, or Lake County. In consultation with our medical advisors, we have updated our travel guidelines to conform to new guidance from public health authorities.
The following travel quarantine guidelines replace all prior guidance. Remember that public health departments discourage inter-state travel. We continue to recommend that Catholic school families and employees enjoy a safe spring break at home.
Domestic Travel (state-to-state)
- No quarantine is necessary if the traveler is fully vaccinated, which is defined as two weeks after the second dose of a two-dose COVID-19 vaccination or two weeks after receiving a single-dose COVID-19 vaccination.
- Proof of vaccination will be required to avoid quarantines.
- Individuals must not have symptoms and must maintain strict masking and physical distancing. If a fully vaccinated individual has symptoms, they must quarantine and consult with a health care provider.
Travel in states designated Orange on the Chicago Emergency Travel Order map requires:
- Ten-day quarantine upon return if there is no negative pre-arrival test (any test administered by a third-party is sufficient; however, a self-administered test is not acceptable) or the traveler is not fully vaccinated (see above for definition of fully vaccinated) OR
- A pre-arrival negative test (within 72 hours before returning to the state) with strict masking, physical distancing, and avoidance of in-person out-of-school gatherings. Archdiocesan schools should accept any negative test before school attendance (including tests administered upon return to the state) but no earlier than 72 hours before returning to the state. Any test administered by a third-party is sufficient; however, a self-administered test is not acceptable. Availability of testing out-of-state residents varies from state to state, so we advise making a plan for receiving tests within 72 hours of your child’s return to school.
- For domestic travel in states designated as Yellow on the Chicago Emergency Travel Order map, no quarantine or pre-arrival test is required. However, travelers must maintain strict masking and physical distancing.
Regardless of vaccination status, international travelers must follow CDC guidelines:
- A traveler is to be tested three to five days after their return to the U.S. and must quarantine for a seven-day period even if the post-arrival test is negative (any test administered by a third-party is sufficient; however, a self-administered test is not acceptable).
- If a traveler chooses not to take a test three to five days after their return to the U.S., he or she must quarantine for ten days after arrival.
The COVID-19 pandemic has devastated families and communities around the world over the past year. However, vaccines are a ray of hope against a killer virus and have gained the approval of public health authorities, Pope Francis and Cardinal Cupich. As communities of faith concerned about the sanctity of human life, our religious leaders and Catholic school heroes are not only encouraging everyone to get vaccinated but are rolling up their sleeves to get a life-saving vaccine themselves.
COVID Dashboard 3-18-2021
Dr. Erika Mickelburgh
Endowment Merit Scholarships
The Endowment Committee is excited to announce the merit-based scholarships available to current SPC students returning for the 2021-2022 school year. Each year the Endowment administers five merit-based, named scholarships totaling $3,750.
- Pastoral Leadership Award- We are pleased to invite current 5th and 6th grade students to apply. Three monetary awards of $750 will be given to students who most demonstrate the qualities of leadership and service to others.
- Maureen Kelly McCambridge Scholarship- We are pleased to invite current 7th grade students to apply for this $1000 scholarship established in Maureen’s honor and memory.
- Roseann McHugh New Family Welcome Award- This $500 award is available to families who, for the first time during the 2020-2021 school year, have students in K-7th grades and are returning to SPC for a second year. It will be granted to welcome a new family to the SPC community.
Below, please find detailed information concerning each scholarship and their respective criteria. All applicants will be judged using an independent, nonbiased format. In order for us to continue the growth of the Endowment, all award recipients and their families will be asked to help in some capacity at future Endowment events.
Listed below is the timeline for submission. Please note that all deadlines are final and there will be no exceptions to this or any of the scholarship requirements. If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Mickelburgh.
Submission Timeline for Endowment Merit-Based Scholarships
April 1, 2021 Applications for the Pastoral Leadership Award, Maureen McCambridge Scholarship & Roseann McHugh New Family Welcome Award due (by 9:00pm)
May 3, 2021 April Maureen McCambridge semi-finalists notified
May 10, 2021 Maureen McCambridge semi-finalists interviewed
June 2021 Pastoral Leadership Award, Maureen McCambridge Scholarship & Roseann McHugh New Family Welcome Award recipients honored at all school Mass.
SPC Yearbooks - Ordering Deadline is Thursday, April 8th
Here are three reasons we chose TreeRing:
Custom Yearbooks: Every student gets a one of a kind printed copy containing two free pages to customize with personal photos. (This is optional; don’t feel obligated to complete this)
Green Yearbooks: In the past four years TreeRing planted almost 2,100 trees on behalf of St. Paul of the Cross.
Beautiful Yearbooks: All yearbooks are gorgeously printed in full color using the highest end print production available.
YOU CAN PURCHASE AND PERSONALIZE YOUR St. Paul of the Cross YEARBOOK BY CLICKING HERE https://www.google.com/url?q=https://tr5.treering.com/validate&source=gmail&ust=1614979315981000&usg=AFQjCNHySH4YtoGx662EbEW9YiwarztUVA">https://tr5.treering.com/
Yearbook password: 101414618165482
A few important facts:
o Your personalized yearbook only costs $28.00 for a soft cover. You may order a hardcover yearbook for an additional charge.
o You’ll need to purchase your copy and complete your free personal pages by April 8th
o Your 2 free custom pages are optional, if you don’t customize you’ll receive a standard yearbook.
FROM THE PARISH
We have an active and vibrant parish and encourage everyone to read the weekly bulletins for Fr. Britto's weekly letter and stay informed about all upcoming events and programs.
Please click here for the latest bulletin.
Candelight Rosary - Feast of the Annunciation Thursday, March 25th
FROM THE COMMUNITY
Loyola Academy Junior High Summer Enrichment Program
Summer will be here soon! Loyola Academy will be offering their Jr. High Summer Enrichment Program for summer 2021. Please click here to download the flyer.