Dear SPC Families,
This is a pretty full letter and includes information on the following:
- Quick Survey
- Rising Covid Numbers in Illinois--how are we doing as an SPC community in keeping everyone safe and healthy?
- Fall State of the School & Future Advisory Board Meeting Date
- Travel Ban update & Holidays
- Winter Sports
- Remote Learning Registration for Trimester 2 (sent earlier this week)
- D64 BUS Service
- Mrs. Moran--Congratulations on your Retirement!
As we approach the end of the 1st trimester I wanted to take a quick pulse on how SPC is doing with our reopening. We are always looking to improve and appreciate your feedback.
Take Survey Here.
RISING COVID-19 NUMBERS IN OUR AREA & Dr. M’s COVID-19 SPC REPORT CARD:
We all know that COVID is rising in our area, which means we all need reminding of some important Infection Protocols. On Tuesday, I shared the percentages of positive cases and quarantines, which indicate that our safety protocols are working! I am so proud of everyone for following the rules so that we can keep everyone safe---but we do have room for improvement. We have been doing so well, and we can’t begin to let our comfort level lead to a lapse in safety practices:
- Parents, if you are sick: YOU MUST KEEP YOUR CHILDREN HOME. We really need to work on this. I know this is a huge shift from the past, but until you as a parent have been cleared for COVID (if you have symptoms), your child MUST NOT come to school.
- Wear masks at all times on campus--pulling up your shirt to your mouth and running to pick up your child is not a substitute for a mask.
- If you or your child has been exposed to anyone with COVID 19, keep your child home and contact the school for further instructions. I will let you know when your child can return to school based on the Archdiocesan infection policies.
- DO NOT SEND SICK CHILDREN TO SCHOOL---everyone has been doing such an amazing job with this! Thank you!
- Please get a flu shot! As flu season starts ramping up, we really don’t want a double whammy with COVID and flu.
- Costumes may be worn to school tomorrow.
- Masks must be worn at all times.
- No outside treats can be brought and shared from home. Home and School is graciously providing a treat for all students!
- Classrooms will all celebrate in their individual classrooms.
FALL 2020 STATE OF THE SCHOOL.
Thank you to the 86 people who joined us at the open school advisory board meeting on Tuesday. For those of you who missed it, please click here to watch the video (Passcode: T9oh5f^@). To download a copy of the presentation, click here.
Next Open School Advisory Board Meeting: Save the date for November 17th at 7:30. Mrs. Ronda Quinn will be presenting more detailed information about the SEL pilot and program at SPC. We will send out a Zoom registration link at a later date.
TRAVEL BAN--FLORIDA IS NOW ON THE LIST!
Please click here for the latest list of travel ban states. As you make plans for the Thanksgiving holiday, please know that if you are traveling to any of these states, you will have to quarantine upon returning. That means if you are traveling to a state for Thanksgiving that is on the list, your child will not be allowed to return to school until the quarantine is over.
The Archdiocese announced yesterday that winter sports are canceled for this year. I know this is a major disappointment for so many of us, including myself! I pray that we will soon be able to cheer on our SPC Tigers at sporting events.
REMOTE LEARNING REGISTRATION: DEADLINE NOVEMBER 13th
While in-person learning has been a success at SPC, we recognize that families may wish to change their enrollment status for Trimester 2. We have opened registration for remote learning for Trimester 2. Should you wish to change your child to remote learning for Trimester 2, please complete the following form. The completed form is due no later than November 13th. CLICK HERE FOR REMOTE LEARNING REGISTRATION FORM
NOTE TO CURRENT REMOTE LEARNING FAMILIES:
You will need to re-register your child/children for this option as we have added another remote learning choice. You will not automatically be re-enrolled in remote learning. Thank you for completing the form by November 13th.
REMOTE LEARNING OPTIONS FOR TRIMESTER 2:
Option 1 - Remote Learning Through Catapult in Partnership with the Office of Catholic Schools
1. The cost of the program is SPC tuition.
2. SPC teachers will not be teaching the remote learning classes; they are being offered through the Archdiocese of Chicago Office of Catholic Schools.
3. SPC will provide students with a Chromebook to complete the remote learning option.
4. Curriculum will be aligned to OCS standards and benchmarks but may NOT mirror the SPC curriculum specifically. However, SPC does use the OCS benchmarks and priority standards in planning our curriculum.
Option 2: Asynchronous Learning
Each week, work and videos will be uploaded to a digital platform. Students will complete the work at their own pace throughout the week. The videos will be instructional (not produced by SPC teachers). Students will submit the work to an SPC teacher for assessment. The teachers will still Zoom 1-2 times a week with your child to touch base. During the two weeks of remote learning in January, your child can follow along with their homeroom. The cost of this program is SPC tuition.
REMOTE LEARNING TRIMESTER 2 REGISTRATION DEADLINE NOVEMBER 13th:
To plan for Trimester 2, Remote Learning registration must be completed by November 13th.
DISTRICT 64 BUS SERVICE:
We will not be resuming bus service until we are 100% back to business as normal.
CONGRATULATIONS MRS. MORAN!
After 35 years of dedicated service, Mrs. Moran will be retiring next Friday. We wish her the best of relaxation after her faithful commitment to SPC for so many years! Thankfully, we will still see her as she has agreed to come back and sub for us. Thank you, Mrs. Moran, for bringing SPC technology from the days of the Apple IIe to iPads. Your contributions to St. Paul of the Cross will never be forgotten!
Dr. Erika Mickelburgh
Fr. Britto Video Message to SPC Parents
SPC School Board - Two Board Position Openings
To: St. Paul of the Cross School Parents and Parishioners
The St. Paul of the Cross School Board has two vacancies for the 2020-21 school year. We invite parents and parish members to consider taking a leadership role and participate on the school board.
As an advisory board, our school board assists our Pastor, Father Britto, and our Principal, Dr. Erika Mickelburgh in formulating and implementing policies and procedures to run our parish school.
The school board meets monthly during the school year. The board activities include finance, academic education, religious education, public relations, technology and building planning.
The eligibility requirements to serve on the Board include being:
A registered practicing Catholic at St. Paul of the Cross;
Genuinely interested in working collaboratively to advance the Catholic and academic education at St. Paul of the Cross Catholic School.
Holiday Gift Cards through TRIP & Distribution Update
For rebates from previous orders: all orders that were made through 9/30/20 will be credited by the end of November to your FACTS account. The next distribution of rebates will take place in February.
The yearbook committee has started working hard on this year's yearbook. We are looking for photos from the first day of school. Please feel free to add any photos to this shared folder. We will be asking for other photos throughout the school year to add to the yearbook.
REGISTER NOW for the Winter Session 2020-2021 of Chess-Ed's Virtual Enrichment Program!
Chess-Ed is pleased to offer VIRTUAL chess lessons to your students this Winter!
The 10-week Winter session is offered Monday through Friday at a variety of times (4, 5, and 6 pm) with Beginner, Novice, Continuing, and Advanced program levels. The chess program runs from 11/30/20 to 2/19/21 and is taught by Chess-Ed instructors using Zoom, lichess.org, and other chess software. Please refer to the Eventbee registration site for chess level guidelines .
To register, students must have a FREE username at lichess.org so they can be paired by the chess instructor during the game playing portion of the lesson. Register NOW at www.a-winter-virtual-chess-ed.eventbee.com. Be sure to register early to take advantage of EARLY FEE pricing. For more information about the program, please refer to the program flyer and Eventbee website.
Chess-Ed is looking forward to seeing your CHESS ENTHUSIAST this Winter!
FROM THE PARISH
We have an active and vibrant parish and encourage everyone to read the weekly bulletins for Fr. Britto's weekly letter and stay informed about all upcoming events and programs.
Please click here for the November 1st bulletin.
Hello School Families!
FROM THE COMMUNITY
Loyola Academy Dance Clinic
Loyola Academy dance team will be hosting a virtual dance clinic on November 3rd and 4th. Please click on this link to download the flyer for all the details.